Monday, September 15, 2008

Satisfaction

Tasty ripe Alberta peaches fresh from Broulims, $16.95 a box. Take that box, add mother and 2 determined daughters, and you get.....

Sorry to say that during my canning years, I never taught my girls how to process food. They may have helped, but they never really learned how to. It's probably been 10 years since I canned. The last time I did, half the jars didn't seal. That was a lot of work not to mention money, so I got discouraged and haven't tried it since. Then last week I was talking to someone who had a similar experience and she asked me what kind of lids I used. I told her they were Kerr, the kind my mom always used. She said her lids were Kerr lids too and she wrote the company about the problem. She changed to using Ball lids and hasn't had a problem. So far, the 14 jars we did Saturday all sealed and hopefully that will happen again tonight. We're pretty ambitious now. We think we're going to do some mustard pickles and some salsa. It's really actually enjoyable when there are 3 people doing the work instead of just one.

2 comments:

lrix said...

This has been a fun experience. I am so happy to be able to say that I canned. I don't feel like such a slacker now. Thank you for the lessons, it has actually been quite a fun chore for a change.

Kliss said...

Please please bring us some salsa... That sounds good.. I wish Kliss there to participate.