Sunday, October 7, 2007

On "Holy Cow"


Holy Cow! How many times do you hear people say that when they hear or see or do something out of the ordinary? While I don't think to say "Holy Cow" very often, it tickles me when I hear others say it. Holy Cow has its own, very literal, meaning to me. Being married to a farmer/rancher, Holy Cow means Holy Cow. While it doesn't apply to my dearly beloved husband as much as it does to other members of his family, the definition of Holy Cow in their vocabulary is: 1. you gotta have a herd of these in order to be considered anybody of importance 2. you gotta have a herd of these in order to be considered a true, real, living and breathing cowboy 3. you gotta have a herd of these to make an honest living 4. you gotta have a herd of these to be an upstanding member of the Roy McGarry family. With that definition out in the open, I have to say that my husband has moved on to bigger and better ways of thinking as have other family members, but it was pretty much the way he and his 3 brothers were raised. When we were first married, cows were pretty important. But as we entered a partnership with his oldest brother and his responsibilities went more to farm work than ranch work, he got diversified. I am glad he did because he is much more well-rounded and realizes that there's more to life than holy cows. We are on our own now, and we have close to 300 holy cows which have kept him and Jeremy (Michelle's husband) busy, busy, busy. But, Holy Cow! he enjoys what he's doing! So, keep those "Holy Cows" in your vocabularies, use them regularly, and EAT BEEF!

1 comment:

Kliss said...

Holy Cow! I didn't think I would see another post on your blog. I am impressed. So are they bringing the cows down from the mountain now that it is snow covered? You are a good lady to put up with all those McGarry cowboys.